Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Friendship

While reading and watching Huckleberry Finn, one of the important themes I noticed was Friendship. No doubt does the story include how wrongful slavery is, but it also shows the significance of friendship between Huck and Jim. Overtime, Huck becomes close with Jim as he learns to look at a person in a different perspective. From this, Huck sees Jim as his best friend rather than a runaway slave or a "nigger". I found it very interesting how there is a big age gap between Jim and Huck yet they are able to create close bond with each other.

The School I attend is an international school; yet, there is hardly any international students. The majority of the population at the school is Korean, but the teachers are mostly from outside of Korea. What I find interesting is that during lunch, I always see the teacher's/faculty's table split into two groups. There is a table where only Korean faculties use and the adjacent table is filled with international teachers. It seems to me that they never mix. From where I sit, the segregation between these two tables is very clear.

This got me thinking, is it harder to form close bonds with people from different countries? It seems to me that it is always easier to become close with people who have the same nationality. hmmmmm.. maybe I should choose this as my research topic for sociology class.

No comments:

Post a Comment