Sunday, March 22, 2009

Temptation

It is hard to resist something that you desire. Patience is the key to resisting temptation. I, personally need to develop such skill. When there is something that I really want in front of me, I have a tendency to grab it immediately, regardless of the possible benefit I could receive later on if I just wait. I bought a nice pair of shoes the other day. They were about $60. On my way to the super market to buy some tomatoes, I went past the same store and found a big sign that said "30% off". Many people were rushing into the store, grabbing the 30% items from the basket. I was mad. I could've saved so much money if I had just waited for another couple of days. What can I say? It is hard to resist such temptation.

Coincidentally, we watched this video called "Marshmallow Temptation" during National Honors Society meeting the other day. It was an experiment done on young kids to see whether they could be patient and resist the temptation to eat the marshmallow. They were told that they could eat the marshmallow right when they got them; however, if they waited, they could have another one. This video made me laugh because there were some kids who had the ability to wait to get the bigger prize and there were others who just couldn't stand waiting so they just ate them. Watch the video below to see the experiment.



This experiment may be a little inaccurate due to the differences in age of the kids, but it sure does tell us that patience is something that we all need to work on.

Picture from Creative Commons
Video from YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment